Tag Archives: Italy

Plan B: Love Stories Gone Wrong Amy Sarno

Hi Everyone:

I’m spending my sabbatical in Florence to write a play about the experience of expat American women living in Italy who find themselves facing intimate partner violence.

The project, “Plan B: Love Stories Gone Wrong” examines the lived experience of American expat women who have survived domestic violence. While many of the women who have left abusive relationships in Italy have returned to the United States; some have chosen to stay in order to keep custody of their children. I am interested in interviewing survivors who remain in Italy.

Another part of the story has to do with the individuals who help women facing violence to move ahead with their lives. I am also wanting to speak with service providers, counselors, physicians, midwives, advocates, attorneys, and embassy officials who work with women who have struggled with violent relationships in Italy. The interviews will be edited to create a performance piece intended to raise awareness about a side of domestic violence most people never consider: the expat experience. The goal of this play is to create a simple play that can tour to raise international awareness for the challenges expat women face when they find themselves in violent relationships.

I do use informed consent so your privacy is protected. I am hoping to have interviews completed by November 1, so please drop me a line at sarnofra@beloit.edu.

Amy Sarno
Associate Professor of Theatre
Chair of the Quisenberry/Wirtz Endowed Fund for Theatre and Social Change
Beloit College, Beloit, WI 53511

Women Supporting Women

WSWposter2013_eng_WEBEvery three days a woman is killed in Italy as a result of domestic violence.  Last year Artemesia – the women and children’s crisis center – helped approximately 1000 women rebuild their lives.  By the end of August Artemisia had already helped approximately 800 women this year.  As public awareness has risen with respect to domestic violence, and women are coming to realize that there is a way out, the need for a safe place to receive assistance is increasing. 

On October 10th please come and support the work that Artemesia does with women who dare to dream of a better life.  Join us for an AILO evening of Art Against Domestic Violence.  For the details please see the attached flyer. WSWposter2013_eng_PRINT

You can also show your support by sharing this email with your friends and posting the flyer on your Facebook page. 

Together We Can Make A Difference.

Moving back home after living in Italy for years?

movingI know some of you are thinking about moving back to your home country or have already decided.  I found this great blog that talks all about it.  It is not an easy transition to move back, especially if you have lived for many years abroad.  So before you take that actual move read through this blog and get an idea of some challenges you might experience when you do.


Firenze Mom

June 6, 2013


Mom’s you should know for Traveling outside Italy  If you did not know read this before you travel:

The EU changed rules about a year ago and you are not allowed to travel with your children on the passports anymore.

Make sure that any children travelling with you either have their own passport or ID card or are registered on your passport. However, from 26 June 2012, children will need to have their own passport or ID card to travel (even if they are still mentioned in their parent’s passport, which remains valid).  from: europa.eu- Documents you will need

You must have a passport for the children and/or carta’d’identita if you are resident in Italy.  If you are EU national then you can use the E.U. national ID’s.  If you are traveling from here to the US and back they will definitely stop and question you say in Germany,  if you only have US passports for your children.  So your best is to get the carta’d’identita for your child as well if you are a resident here and if your children are dual an Italian Passport as well.  On the identity card they put both parents name on it.

More Related Articles:

Documents you need-Non-EU family members

Documents you need-EU nationals

Looking for a way to have fun and improve your English this summer??

summer camp
Looking for a way to have fun and improve your English this summer??
Come to Summer Experience – the original English summer camp in Bagno a Ripoli. Spend the day in the hills outside Florence playing, creating, socializing, being IN ENGLISH. Staffed entirely by native English speakers who have many years working with kids and teens in Italy and around the world – our camp is ideal for Italian youth who only have scholastic English, bilingual youth and English speakers.
Open to ages 6-14. Camp runs in weekly sessions from June 10 to July 5
Younger kids bonus week: For kids ages 4-8 we’ll be running a special week at an alternative location from July 8-12.
Bilingual week: Sept. 2-6 we’ll be running a bilingual English/Italian camp for kids ages 4-10. The theme for this week is The Four Elements: Water, Earth, Air, Fire.
For information and enrollment, contact Jonnel at ingleseforyou@yahoo.com or 333.428.7409

Lets talk about your struggles being an expatiate in Italy

group discussionLets talk about your struggles being an expatiate in Italy

Group Session Series by Paolo Molino, Psychotherapist

Next Session: Wednesday, April 24th,   10-12

Dott.Paolo Molino
Via Antonio Scialoja 68
50136 Firenze
web: www.paolomolino.com

Top 5 food stops in Florence

Top 5 food stops in Florence

How does a foodie view a trip to a new city? He or she will create an itinerary where before or after the museum, around the corner from his or her hotel, near every single mandatory stop there will be a chance to run off and take a bite of the city! So here are 5 food stops you can’t miss in Florence! You will need at least one day to get to them all! The order has been split up from morning (snack- lunch-snack-dinner-after dinner) to late at night.

via Top 5 food stops in Florence – Tuscan Recipes Food and Tradition – Tuscanycious.

What not to expect when moving to Italy

Another great post from Girl in Florence:

What not to expect when moving to Italy

florence city of dreams Like many fellow bloggers who live and work in Italy, we tend to get a lot of emails from those interested in moving here. I can understand why, the food, the scenery, “la bella vita”what’s not to love?  While I am personally
obsessed with this country and can happily see my life here forever —
at the same time I have become much more realistic throughout the years
and can kind of ‘tell’ when this might not be the right fit for some
people. It’s really all about managing expectations. If
you haven’t yet lived/worked in a Mediterranean country with high
unemployment, you face some huge challenges that you never thought much

Below is my list of what NOT to expect when moving to my favorite country in the world besides the USA – Italia!

via What not to expect when moving to Italy.


Things that children put in there mouths

childI have heard some stories of “my child ate this and my child ate that”.  Children love to explore and then they like to taste so it might be inevitable for a child to go through life without something that they ate and were not supposed to. If your child ate something you will need to determine the next step.  If it is an object and not chemical or medicines, check to see if the child is breathing.  If he is getting air then that is a good sign it did not get stuck.  Next determine if it is a battery, magnet, or sharp object, these are very dangerous and require a trip to the emergency room.  The others should be brought to the attention of your doctor, where most likely you are going to be checking your child’s stool for the object he swallowed.

You can read more about what happens if your child swallows something that is not a medicine or chemical here:

Accidental Ingestions: Objects (Not Medications / Chemicals) – pediatricanswers.com

pillsIf it is a chemical or medicine, you need to act quick. You have to call poison control which is called (Centri Veleni in Firenze)

The number for Firenze is TEL.055/7947819 

You will need to have this information most likely in Italian, so maybe have a sheet with it on your frig:

  • The victim’s age
  • The victim’s weight
  • The victim’s existing health conditions or problems
  • The substance involved and how it contacted the person (was it swallowed, inhaled, absorbed through skin contact or splashed into the eyes?)
  • How long ago they swallowed or inhaled the substance
  • Any first aid which may have been given
  • If the person has vomited
  • Your location, and how long it will take you to get to a hospital

For a list of other numbers in other areas of Italy: Il centro antiveleni

Here is a list of a few different things that children have been noted for swallowing.

cryonsArts and crafts supplies
Nails, Pins, & Tacks
Fabric from sleeves and necks of shirts
Bathtub water
pencil eraser

What are your stories?  Has your child swallowed something strange?

Some Related Articles:

The Poison Control Center – chop.edu
Top 10 Things Kids Accidentally Swallow – babyzone.com

Teatro Obihall di Firenze – IRLANDA IN FESTA – XVIIIa edizione


St. Patricks Day in Florence


Program Pdf file

via Teatro Obihall di Firenze – IRLANDA IN FESTA – XVIIIa edizione – dal 12-03-13 al 14-03-13 | CONCERTI | Cartellone.

Permesso di Soggiorno for non EU citizens

Permesso di SoggiornoBefore applying for residency for non EU citizens you must first take care of your Permesso di Soggiorno

by Amy Mancino

The Permesso di Soggiorno (PdiS) is your most important document if you are a non-EU citizen in Italy. It can be translated to Permit to Stay.  Many places (online and in books) translate this as a residency permit which gets very confusing as there is also residency through the comune(city hall) but this is something else.  The PdiS is not just for those who are planning on moving to Italy but for anyone who will be in Italy for more than 90 days.  For stays less than 90 days you only need only a passport entry stamp from the Italian airport.  If you entered via another European country, within 8 days you must visit the local questura  (state police headquarters) and request a stamped Dichiarazione di Presenza http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export/sites/default/it/assets/files/14/0798_2007_07_27_Dichiarazione_di_presenza.pdf>  (declaration of presence).

It is best to always refer to the Italian government’s http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it   website for information and access to official resources.For most permessi types start with a visit to a local post office where you will pick up a “kit”. The kits are free.. The kit contains two modules (forms). The kit contains instructions for completing the forms (only in Italian); English instructions can be found on the http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it  website. Instructions are also provided on which additional documents are to be included to support your application.The forms are machine readable so completing them requires care.Once you have completed your kit you must go to a specified post office (only post offices that have sportello amico, you can find a list of them on the pt website). DO NOT SIGN or DATE your kit beforehand; this must be done in the presence of the postal employee. The employee will review your kit and if everything is in order you will be permitted to mail it. The cost (in Euro) per kit is: prices of your postal kit for pdis are the following..

for up to 1 year 14,62(marca da bollo) 30,00 assicurata..28,60 for bollettino plus 80 euro
for 1 year to 2 years 14,62 plus 30,00 plus 28,60 plus 100 euro

for over 2 years 14,62 plus 30,00 plus 28,60 plus 200 euro The marca da bollo should be acquired before you go to the post office; you can pay for the permesso and postage at the post office. You must pay in cash. The post office in Florence only requires photocopies of you passport pages with writing on them and of course the visa page if you have one.

You will be given a receipt for the kit. It’s very important that you save this as it provides proof you’ve applied. It includes a user id and password that enable you to check the status of your kit at http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it .

Once your kit has been mailed it will be processed, you will receive a letter indicating date/time of your convocazione appointment at the questura to submit 4 photographs and be fingerprinted; or, if there are any open questions to answer them. Subsequently, you can check online at http://questure.poliziadistato.it/stranieri/  to find out when to pickup your new permesso, which is a digitized card.

You must go to the questura in Via della Fortezza number 17 arrive about 15 minutes before your appointment time and show your paper that the post office gave you, you will then be given a number and must wait until it is called. Bring the copy of your letter, your passport and a copy of the pages with writing or stamps or visas on them and all the documents you have pertaining to your immigration to Italy, (lease, work papers, pay slips etc) bring 4 pictures, you can get them done at any photo booth that does id pictures or at the photographer. Remember not to cover your eyes or face too much with hair. Here are examples http://www.fotografi.org/fototessera/default.htm.

Once you have submitted all the necessary forms to the questura window, you will fingerprinted and then asked for a cell phone number as the notifications of pdis ready to be picked up are sent by sms.

Once you receive your sms that the pdis is ready. Get all the same docs you brought to the first appointment and go to the questura on the date in the SMS, do not worry if you cannot make it. Just makes sure you don’t go early in the morning as pickups are only in the afternoon. I suggest going around 12 noon and asking if they are giving out numbers for afternoon pickups which usually start around 1:30 pm but ask the Policeman at the door as things often change. On Friday they are closed in the afternoon so pickups are done in the morning.

If you have minor children they will only need to be brought to your first appointment. There is no need to bring them to pick-ups but remember to bring their original passports with you.

Once you have your permesso I suggest you make a fotocopy or scan of it.

Residency in Florence as a non EU citizen

Once you have your Permesso di Soggiorno you have to register it.

To apply for residency in Florence as a non EU citizen you must first have your permesso di soggiorno.

Once you have this you must bring it to the Anagrafe office to have them register it. Bring your original passport(s) and registered contract if you are renting.

There is also the possibility of registering your documents by fax or by mail. The fax is sometimes hard to get through so you may want to send by registered letter that sends you the receipt(A/R). After 2 days you should get a letter that they are processing and usually within 15 days they approve the residency with the right to revoke if they send someone to the house and you are not living there or if there is some problem with your permesso. I strongly suggest the by mail or fax method as its proven to be faster and easier then trying to make an appointment at the anagrafe or waiting in line.