You arrived and you want to be a part of the Servizio Sanitario Regionale (SSR) (Regional Health Services) to get your doctor here in Italy. First you need to determine what kind of “Stranieri” you are. Are you a “CITTADINI COMUNITARI” or “CITTADINI NON COMUNITARI”?
CITTADINI COMUNITARI (EU CITIZENS)
2. Italian employees in the state fixed-term (Lavoratori subordinati nello stato italiano a tempo determinato): You are ascribable to the SSR for the duration of the employment relationship, with the possibility of renewal
3. Italian employees in the state with a permanent contract (Lavoratori subordinati nello stato italiano con contratto a tempo indeterminato): You are ascribable to the SSR for the duration of the employment contract
4. Self-employed in the State Italian (Lavoratori autonomi nello stato italiano): You are ascribable to the SSR for the duration of the employment
5. Family members of a worker in the state who do not hold Italian assistance from competent foreign institution. (Familiari di un lavoratore nello stato italiano non titolari di assistenza da parte dell’Istituzione estera competente e a carico): You are ascribable to the SSR under the right of the householder.
6. Family members of Italian citizens who do not hold for assistance from competent foreign institution. (Familiari di cittadino italiano non titolari di assistenza da parte dell’Istituzione estera competente e a carico): You are ascribable to the SSR under the right of the householder.
7. Citizens legally residing in Italy for more than five years. (Cittadini regolarmente soggiornanti in Italia per più di cinque anni): You are ascribable to the SSR indefinitely.
For more descriptions and to know the documents needed you can find that out here: ISCRIZIONE OBBLIGATORIA AL S.S.R.
CITTADINI NON COMUNITARI (NON-EU CITIZENS)
Can ascribe to the SSR for the person holding the “permesso di soggiorno”. It is valid with the period of validity of the residence permit and, at expiration, the foreign national, to be entitled to health care, it must provide for the renewal.
Foreign citizens enrolled in the SSR are entitled to equal conditions as Italian citizen to all forms of health care provided by the essential levels of assistance and additional levels provided by the Region of Tuscany, where residing in the region.
Minors: Foreign minors in the area, regardless of possession of a residence permit, upon presentation of a legal birth certificate enroll annually to the SSR, which may be renewed, except in cases of residence permit for which the law does not allow the ‘registration to the SSR.
For more information and documents needed you can go here: ISCRIZIONE OBBLIGATORIA AL S.S.R.
Once you have filled out your documents then go to your ASL office and they will issue a provisional release of the health card. The final will be delivered to the address of residence
Azienda Sanitaria di Firenze for your healh care in Italy